Are you looking for some basic facts and data to finally get a family member or friend to have a hearing evaluation or be fitted for a hearing aid? People often avoid seeking assistance for hearing loss, but talking to them about the causes, effects and prevalence of hearing problems may help. These basic facts and figures could help you convince someone you care about that it’s time to get a complete hearing test:
- Nearly 1 of of every five people in America have some type of hearing loss – that is 36 million people!
- Of those aged 65 and older, an average of 13% experience ringing in the ears.
- The number of Americans with hearing loss has doubled in the last 3 decades.
- Noise is a major contributing factor to hearing loss. Noise has already caused irreversible hearing loss for 10 million people. Another 30 million people are exposed to dangerous noise levels on a daily basis.
- Of the people who could benefit from using a hearing aid, just one out of 5 people wears one.
- High frequency hearing loss due to regular loud noise exposure impacts about 26 million people in the United States (ages 20-69). This includes repeated noise exposure from both work and leisure sources.
- Studies have indicated that those with hearing loss experience it as mild in 65% of cases, moderate in 30% of cases and severe in 5% of cases.
- Those with hearing loss wait roughly a decade before addressing the issue. Don’t let this be you!